How do our patients choose the best hospital in Singapore?
1) Singapore is very accessible from where they are currently based.
2) Singapore's quality of medical care is the best in the Southeast Asian region.
3) On a quality weighted basis, coming to Singapore is cheaper than going home to the US or Europe.
Major medical procedures w/average total medical/hospital cost in a western-level hospital
|SU.S. Costs from "Patient Beyond Border" by Josef Woodman. Details below|
|Procedure||Countries||Cost as a % of U.S.|
|Heart Valve Replacement||160,000||9,000||10,000||12,500||9,000||6%||6%||8%||6%|
"Patient Beyond Border" by Josef Woodman. The table used in this book is available from
ABILITY Magazine at http://www.abilitymagazine.com/pbb.html.
|Singapore is safe, has warm weather all year round and English/Mandarin/Bahasa are widely spoken.||The average quality of medical care is very high, but quality and price vary. It is important to choose the right doctor.|
|Singapore is within a 6 hour flight from most major cities in Asia. Flights are affordable given the prevalence of budget airlines.||Singapore is an expensive place to recover: hotel stays are expensive|
|Singapore is the best country in Asia to deliver your child. The country’s medical care is ranked 2nd globally for infant mortality rate and 9th for life expectancy at birth (81 years)|
|Singapore’s has world class medical professionals (Many of whom are trained in the US or Europe) and state of the art equipment and is ranked 6th out of 191 countries on overall health system performance by the World Health Organization|
Ulink arranges more than 1,000 medical appointments for foreign patients yearly, for a wide array of medical conditions.
Based on Ulink's patient flows, the most requested medical specialties for out-patient consultations are:
- 1. Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- 2. Orthopaedics
- 3. Cardiology
- 4. Oncology
- 5. Gastroenterology
The most requested medical specialities for admissions are:
- 1. Obstetrics & Gynaecology – e.g. delivery of baby, myomectomy, hysterectomy
- 2. Gastroenterology – e.g. colonoscopy, liver biopsy, upper GI endoscopy
- 3. Orthopaedics – e.g. joint replacement surgery, spine surgery
- 4. Cardiology – e.g. bypass surgery, atherectomy, stent procedures
- 5. Respiratory – e.g. wedge resection, lobectomy, pneumonectomy
- 6. Eye – e.g. cataract surgery, glaucoma, laser photocoagulation
Areas in which we see the greatest increase in requests are:
- 1. Dentistry
- 2. General health screenings
- 3. Dermatology
- 4. Diabetes and nutrition
- 5. Sleep tests
BACK TO TOP
In our experience, patients normally start by asking a friend or relative based, or that has been to Singapore for doctor recommendation.
Often times, however, our clients are unfamiliar with Singapore or do not have a local friend or relative. This is where Ulink adds the most value - we use our experience to recommend a specialist that best suits the patients specific medical condition and budget.
Ulink’s doctor panel represents the top of the fields in the Singapore medical profession and we constantly evaluate their performance based on first-hand reviews and outcomes.
Choosing the right healthcare provider in Singapore involves two main considerations: 1) Urgency 2) Budget.
1) Urgency: Singapore’s government health care system is very well-funded and the standard of care is very high. However due to current capacity constraints in the national health care system, waiting time for foreign patients can be as long as 2 months. If you need an urgent appointment, anything within one month to a day, a private hospital is the option for you.
2) Budget: The leading private hospitals in Singapore are:
- Raffles Hospital (click for more info)
- Gleneagles Hospital
- Mount Elizabeth Hospital
- Mount Elizabeth Novena Hospital (click for more info)
- Mount Alvernia Hospital (cost effective option) (click for more info)
- Thomson Medical Centre (specialises in woman and children) (click for more info)
Private hospital charges for in-patient treatment can be up to 20% higher than government hospitals. However for foreign patients, charges for out-patient consultations at private hospitals are effectively the same as those at government hospitals.BACK TO TOP
Depending on the type of procedure required, the normal fees applicable include consultation fees, doctor fees (for surgical procedures), hospitalisation fees, medical consumables and cost of medicines.
Average charges by procedure can be found here: Ministry of Health
Most cost effective hospitals by procedure: Singapore hospital cost comparison
Ulink’s broad healthcare specialist panel gives our patients the flexibility to confirm an appointment in very short notice – as short as 1 business day before their desired consultation date.
There are generally no cancellation fees for any medical appointments made by Ulink.
Of course, appointments can be made on an immediate basis during medical emergencies. Ulink’s panel of specialists are on 24 hours standby, and we regularly activate doctors in the middle of the night to attend to our patients.
On the day of consultation, waiting times may vary depending on the individual clinic, but are generally within 30 mins of the stated appointment time. The best doctors often run busy clinics.BACK TO TOP
Depending on your nationality, you may not require a visa to enter Singapore. Please check here if you require a visa Immigrations and Checkpoints Authority.
Most of our clients obtain their visas from the Singapore Embassy and air travel agents in their home country. However, we can assist you with the entry visa application if necessary.
If an extended recovery is required in Singapore, Ulink can act as the patient’s local sponsor and process his visa extension (relevant charges apply)
For mothers planning to deliver in Singapore, a special maternity visa is required. We will act as your local sponsor and advise you on the processing of the required security deposit.
Ulink coordinates 2-3 medical evacuations every week to/from Singapore. During medical emergencies, we make all the arrangements for bed-to-bed transfer of the patient:
- 1. Private jet equipped for medical flights (or commercial flight arrangements in less serious cases)
- 2. Medical team: emergency-trained doctor and nurse
- 3. All medical equipment, including ventilator
- 4. Ground ambulance
- 5. Private car for family members
- 6. All permits & immigration approval
- 7. Hospital admission arrangements
- 8. Case management by 24-hr alarm centre
Our in-house medical team is emergency medicine-trained and our strong plane provider relationships mean that an air ambulance is always available 3 hours of activation.
Case management is coordinated through our 24-hr alarm centre: +65 9773 9775
BACK TO TOP
Medical travel of any kind invariably involves worry and hassle.
Who is the best doctor for my medical condition? What treatment would I need? How much would it cost?
Who can I ask for help when in Singapore?
As the most experienced medical travel planner in Singapore - arranging over 1,000 appointments yearly since 1996 - we make all the arrangements for our clients to receive the best medical treatment in Singapore:
- Clinic and hospitalization arrangements
- Treatment plans and price estimates
- Travel arrangements and visas
- Medical evacuations by air ambulance
- Guarantees of payment and insurance claims
- Standby assistance in Singapore
Our clients trust us because we represent their interests in Singapore:
- Is this the best doctor for my condition? Who can I see for a second opinion?
- Is the hospital overcharging me?
- Which hotel is near to my hospital?
- Can my appointments be scheduled such that I fly in and out of Singapore within a day?
- How do I get the information needed by the insurer for their approval?
- Which is a good Mexican restaurant in Singapore?
We do all the work so that our clients can concentrate on their recovery without the care of anything else
In view of that, how do I move forward?
If you already know which doctor you would like to see in Singapore, just mail us with the following details listed below and we will make the appointment for you.
- 1. Name and date of birth
- 2. Preferred visit dates
- 3. Condition summary or medical report
If you need advise on which doctors to see, we will need a good understanding of your medical condition. You can send us your medical report or, in the absent that, a description of your symptoms. We will request for a treatment plan and price estimates from our panel of specialists. This service will be performed free-of-charge.
The most common questions that we normally receive from our clients are:
- 1. Who is the best doctor for my medical condition?
- 2. Which clinic or hospital should I go to?
- 3. How much will it cost me?
- 4. How long will my treatment take?
- 5. Which hotel should I stay at?
- 6. How do I get about while in Singapore?
Answers to these queries will be provided free-of-charge.
Ulink charges a fixed fee of USD $25 only when a patient decides to confirm an appointment.
Contact us at:
Office: +65 6835 0388
Emergency (24/7): +65 9773 9775
Our office hours are from: Monday to Friday, 9:00 AM to 07:00 PM, Singapore time.
Alternatively, you can choose to provide us the type of treatment, your intended date of visit, and your email address, and we will revert to you within 1 business day.BACK TO TOP