With rising healthcare costs in Singapore, many Singaporeans are choosing to go to Johor Bahru (JB) to save money on health screenings and specialist treatment.
Lower cost of private medicine in Malaysia – is this true?
Many common procedures including LASIK and dental treatment, like filling and tooth whitening, are not adequately covered by Medisave or insurance. Without sufficient subsidies to cushion Singaporeans from the rising costs, Singaporeans have started to look for a solution – and found it across the Causeway.
In comparison, the cost of healthcare is much lower in Malaysia for two reasons:
- A favourable exchange rate of S$1 to RM3
- Malaysian doctors are governed by a fee schedule and are not permitted to raise fees beyond the stipulated amounts
Thus, Singaporeans need pay much less for the same procedures in Malaysia.
While prices are lower, what about the quality?
This is why it is important to choose the right hospital! Mahkota Medical Centre, KPJ Tawakkal Specialist Hospital, Sunway Medical Centre, Island Hospital and Regency Specialist Hospital are a handful of the many quality hospitals which make Malaysia a hot spot for medical tourism.
Regency Specialist Hospital, in particular, is welcome by Singaporeans for its nearness to home. It also stands out from other hospitals popping up in Iskandar.
- Regency is owned by a Singapore listed company, Health Management International (HMI)
- It is powered by more than 50 local and overseas-trained doctors. 15 doctors based in Singapore also work in Regency part of the time, and more doctors are coming on board
- It is one of the two hospitals in JB where patients can use their Singapore Medisave to foot their in-patient and day surgery bills (Read more: link)
If you’re not confident about the quality of healthcare in Malaysia, why not try it out with a highly standardised procedure?
What can I expect if I go for medical treatment or health screening in Johor Bahru?
Regency Executive Health Screening Centre (left) and Regency Cardiac Catheterisation Lab (right)
- Just 30 – 60 minutes’ drive from Singapore
- Getting a more personal touch with your treatment (Read about feedback on Mind Your Body, The Straits Times: link)
- A health screening and results in just a half-day trip
- Getting complimentary two-way transport for health screening on Wednesdays (pick up is at designated MRTs), returning at 1.30pm
- Make it a holiday by coupling your trip to the hospital with shopping or golfing
Profiles of selected specialists practising at Regency Specialist Hospital:
Dr Lu Hou Tee
Dr Lu specialises in coronary angiogram, angioplasty, stent implantation, pacemaker implantation and echocardiography. He was awarded the Ministry of Health (Malaysia), Service Excellence Award in 2004, 2005 and 2010. Dr Lu is also a senior lecturer at the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Monash University Malaysia.
Dr Tay Huey Ling
Dr Tay specialises in Ear, Nose, Throat and Neck Surgery and is an Hononary Senior Lecturer at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, Singapore and Visiting Professor in Otolaryngology, Khon Kaen University, Thailand.
Dr Teh Peng Hooi
A resident consultant for the Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery department, Dr Teh is hold the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Singapore, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, Academy of Medicine of Singapore. He specialises in complex fractures, congenital hip dislocation and dysplasia, congenital club foot, and cerebral palsy, hip and knee degenerative joint disorders including joint replacement arthroplasty, spinal disc surgery, and spinal fusion.
Dr Teo Beng Tiong
Dr Teo specialises in Neurosurgery and Spine Surgery and was a clinical lecturer at the Tzu Chi University Hospital in Taiwan.
Dr Hoo Woon Ping
Dr Hoo is an Obstetrics and Gynaecology specialist focused on early pregnancy problems, fetal anomaly screening including 4D ultrasound, cervical and ovarian screening and management of menopause, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, colposcopy and perineal surgery (including pelvic floor repair).
Take advantage of the lower healthcare costs in Malaysia and the proximity of Regency Specialist Hospital just across the Causeway – make an appointment today!
How can Ulink help?
|We help our clients arrange medical appointment with recommended specialists. Get priority booking through us now.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +65 6835 0388
Operating for 20 years, Ulink Assist helps more than 1,000 patients seek medical treatment in Singapore every year.